Saturday, January 1, 2011

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

happy new year!

Our family celebrated Christmas here in St. Louis, just the five of us. These past two weeks have been so good for us to regroup after a month and a half of sickness and then finals. Celebrating Christmas this year kind of felt like a milestone for us. I don't think I mentioned this on my blog last year, but three weeks before Christmas in 2009, Jeremy lost his job at our church due to budget reasons.  That then led to our selling the cottage and moving to St. Louis.  It was a shock to us and last year I couldn't imagine our family celebrating Christmas in a new state, and yet here we are a year later and it was such a good time for our family.

And now a run down on December:

DSC_0757

It was a group effort protecting the ornaments from this guy. 

you have to keep your eye on him

We did some crafting, most of the time it was spur-of-the-moment and we were limited on supplies.

This was the best I could do during one of those spur-of-the-moments.

we made candy canes

He wanted to make candy canes too.

he wanted to make candy canes too

We had one of the most beautiful white Christmas's.

This was the view outside our living room window.

One day we say a coyote out there, with some freshly found dinner in it's mouth.

a beautiful white Christmas outside our living room window

On Christmas morning, the girls and I woke up and put on our cute new slippers gifted to us by Jeremy.

new slippers

Our families were so generous to our family.
I got a little choked up halfway into it.
It was so fun opening the gifts.
And I absolutely love photos of the chaos.

Christmas morning

Lincoln thought climbing on the turquoise stool in the bathroom
was more fun than opening the presents.

he thought this was better than opening presents

Jeremy and the girls explored the snow.
It is all melted away now.
And we have not seen the coyote again.

enjoying our white christmas

sledding

We had a nice dinner on Christmas Day.
We lit candles and the girls made place cards for everyone,
we dressed up a little,
and ate about the time the kids normally go to bed.


the girls made the placecards

Pine cones from Texas decorated our table.

about to enjoy our Christmas dinner

Lincoln gave the girls slates for Christmas, like the ones in Little House on the Prairie.
We wrote down what they wanted to say in their Thank you notes.
And then they copied it on their card and drew pictures.
It's the first time both the girls wrote them entirely in their own handwriting.
Such a milestone.

writing thank you notes

I hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas
and
look forward to this New Year.

We will keep watching for snow.

checking out the snow

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad y'all had a nice Christmas as a family. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to just be us during the holidays.
I love the slate idea! That is a fantastic way to reinforce writing and what they want to say. Saige is always wanting to write her own cards now. Thanks for the tip!

Em said...

Good to hear that you had a nice holiday! We are still keeping up with you a bit through the blog. Although, I enjoy homeschooling, I do have my struggles with it, and I enjoyed your blog about sending the girls to private school. Sometimes, I wish we had that option. Thinking of you all!--Em, Micah, and kiddos

Kimber-Leigh said...

SO good to hear from you...and it sounds like you had a special Christmas. as much as I love being with our extended families for the holidays...I will say that some of our most special ones have been when we've been just the five of us too.

my kiddos would LOVE slates. (we're on book 7 of the little house books.) great idea.

miss you!

Danielle said...

Candy canes, snow, slippers, and sledding.... looks like quite the marvelous Christmas. Thanks for sharing. I love seeing photos of the kids; they make me smile.